Tuesday, April 17, 2012

"Cabin" Clever Not Cliche

If you're a fan of horror films, you should go see this film. If, like me, you're not a fan of horror films, you should go see this film.

Quite simply it's one of the most creative films in its genre in decades, a meta reference of films like it in the style of the Scream franchise and incredibly entertaining to watch because you can't anticipate what happens next, although you'll have fun trying. You may think you know this horror movie, but you have no idea.

This acutely self-aware parody focuses on a group of twenty-somethings spending what's supposed to be a relaxing weekend get-away at...a cabin in the woods. Already, you think you have this film pigeon-holed into the film it's predecessors have stereotyped for you, but let me assure you the writers were well aware of these stereotypes. You have the football-tossing jock (Chris Hemsworth) with too much testosterone; his beautiful, but slutty girlfriend (Anna Hutchison); her innocent, wide-eyed, wet-blanket roommate (Kristen Connolly); the jock's male friend (Jesse Williams)--because who's gonna throw him the football?--and last but certainly not least the stoner (Fran Kranz) who is somehow cool enough to hang out with this group. I'll leave this synopsis as vague as the previews, because divulging anymore would be a great injustice to the genius, yes--Genius! story this film has meticulously crafted for our entertainment pleasure.

Cabin will make you laugh probably more often than jump, but in no way sacrifices gore for giggles. There's plenty of blood, guts and other icky bodily fluids both spewing and entering the body's orifices.

Like I mentioned, I'm not a horror fan. I loved Rosemary's Baby, but that's partly due to the amazing Roman Polanski. I always said, when it comes to this genre, I've already seen it all; everything now-a-days is a rehash of old ideas. However, I'm not so proud to refrain from uttering the real horror: I was wrong. I never could have anticipated nor predicted what I was in for when I went to go see it and perhaps my low expectations helped elevate my overall impression of Cabin, but regardless of any preconceived notions, this is a really great film.

Director/writer Drew Goddard (Cloverfield), like the blood spilled in the film, keeps the story flowing smoothly. He wastes no time in introducing the story and characters and keeps us completely invested in the narrative, no matter how far it stretches, because it's just so damn fun. That's thanks to co-writer Joss Whedon (Buffy series) who maintains a fast-paced tone, with adrenaline-induced horror scenes and laugh-out-loud witty humor.

I appologize for the complete lack of disclosure, but trust me it'll be worth it. I never thought I'd be saying this, considering I had no intentions of seeing it*, but Cabin in the Woods (so far) is one of the best films of 2012.

Rating: B

*thanks Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment